Board Meeting Minutes – February 17, 2017

Daniel Boone Wilderness Trail Association

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

February 17, 2017


The meeting of the Daniel Boone Wilderness Trail Association Board of Directors was held at the Cove Ridge Center on February 17, 2017 at 12 pm.  Present at the meeting were Jim Addington, Charlie Allen, Joe Brown, Robert Chapman, Gretchen Cope, Joe Fuller, Bob McConnell, John Mullen, Megan Krager, Joan Short, Ron Short, and James Stallard.


Approval of Minutes:

Bob McConnell moved to approve the minutes from the October 21, 2016 meeting. John Mullen seconded the motion and it was approved unanimously.


Treasurer’s Report:

Joe Fuller delivered the Treasurer’s report. A full copy of the report is filed in the Secretary’s archive.


Charlie Allen moved that the financials be approved as reported.  Bob seconded the motion and it was approved unanimously.


Grant Progress for Cherokee Performances:

Ron Short reported that he had been working to get more funds from the endowment at Appalshop to bring the Warriors of AniKituhwa to Natural Tunnel State Park. He announced that he was awarded a grant in the amount of $4,500, and then was awarded another $1,000 from the Cove Ridge Foundation and Advisory Board. Ron also explained that he may be able to get another $1,000 from Scott County Tourism. Joe confirmed with Ron that all these funds would be put in the “grants” account.


Ron further explained that the plans for the Warriors of AniKituhwa were as follows:


Friday, May 19: Host two workshops at the Cove Ridge Center for local students

Saturday, May 20: Hold an evening event at the Amphitheater that is open to the public, with no charge to the public


Park Report:

Robert Chapman reported that the four new cabins and four new yurts were still scheduled to open to the general public in May. He announced that the park was now accepting applications for seasonal positions. Robert also announced that the Mountains of Music Homecoming would feature a performer at Natural Tunnel State Park on June 15, but they were unsure of the performer at that time. Railroad Day was scheduled for July 15 and he expressed interest in having the Carter Cabin open during the event as in previous years.


Spring Break and Summer Volunteers:

Megan Krager announced that there were two alternative spring break groups coming in to the park to help with different projects around the park, like putting new shakes on the spring house for example. Megan also explained that she was working on getting Americorp volunteers lined up for the summer.



Bob reported that the Interpretive Center Board was responsible for gathering certain items for the displays in the museum. Examples of these items are pots, fire starting equipment, tomahawks, belts, knives, rifles, and clothing for at least three full size manikins. Bob explained that the Board would also have to come up with the reenactors to be featured in the films that will be used in the museum and photography that will be used in the displays. Bob added that furniture was another thing that would have to be supplied by the Board. There was a lot of discussion about fundraising.


Bob also explained that the Scott County Board of Supervisors had given $3,000 to open an account for the Interpretive Center. It was expected that they would give another $3,000 down the road. Joe Fuller moved to give $5,000 out of the contingency fund to the Interpretive Center Board to help with expenses. Charlie Allen seconded the motion and it was approved unanimously.


President’s Report:

Joan Boyd Short directed everyone’s attention to the new, portable flax break that was made by Joe Wells. Joan then announced that there would be approximately 180 high school students coming to the park later in the month for their Heritage Days program. She explained that a few different stations would be set up in the Blockhouse area and at Cove Ridge for various demonstrations.


Joan explained to the Board that Eric Phillips, a teacher in the Alternative Ed. Center in Scott County, will be working with the DBWTA to complete his recertification credits. Eric will be working on an annotated bibliography for nonfiction, fiction, journals, and similar pieces that can be used in the library of the new center.


Planning Workshop:

Joan asked the Board if they had any suggestions for when to schedule the planning workshop and what things need to be addressed. Joe Brown brought up the need to bring more people into the Association. Joan agreed to look for a Saturday morning (10am-2pm) date to schedule the workshop.


Old Business:

There was no old business.


New Business:

There was no new business.



There were no announcements.



Bob made the motion to adjourn. Ron seconded that motion and it was approved unanimously.